7 Kenyans killed in Al-Shabaab attack in Somalia

By , K24 Digital
On Sun, 2 Oct, 2022 18:22 | 2 mins read
7 Kenyans killed in Al Shabaab attack in Somalia
7 Kenyans killed in Al Shabaab attack in Somalia. PHOTO/Courtesy

Seven Kenyans on Friday, September 30, 2022, lost their lives after Al-Shabaab militants attacked a borehole drilling company in Geriley, Somalia near the Wajir-Somalia border.

In the incident that occurred in the wee hours of the morning, three among the seven killed were area locals while four others were non-locals drawn from various parts of the country.

The three were buried in accordance with the Muslim burial rites.

The Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) retrieved the bodies of the other four persons and brought them back into the country.

Al-Shabaab attack police in Mandera

The latest comes barely a few months after three police officers were injured during an attack by suspected Al-Shabaab Militants at the anti-stock theft camp in Kotulo Mandera County on Monday, July 2, 2022.

According to a police report seen by K24 Digital, the officers at the El-Ram Anti-stock Theft unit camp were attacked at around 2:00 am.

The attackers were repulsed and fled in the direction of Somalia.

“Suspected Al-Shabaab militias probed and attacked the camp from the southern parts of the camp firing using weapons suspected to be PKM and AK47 rifles. Three officers sustained injuries believed to have been directed from the enemy during the attack” the police said in a report.

The three officers; Kiprono Vincent sustained injuries on the right upper arm, two cuts on the lower left leg, and beneath the left leg. Humphrey Tanui sustained injuries on the lower left hip and slightly above the right hip at the waist and Martin Saruni sustained bruises on the left chin.

They were given first aid and evacuated to Nairobi for further medical attention.

Another Al-Shabaab attack in Mandera

In another instance, other officers in Fino-Sheikh Barrow Mandera County escaped death narrowly after their vehicle ran over Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs).

The officers escaped by jumping off the vehicle which struck the explosives at intervals.

The suspected militia who had planted the IEDs fired some gunshots though no officer was injured.

Terrorists in the area have been destroying communication musts with the recent one being two weeks ago at the start of July.

Campaigns to help increase security in the area have been ineffective forcing some communities to migrate from the county.

Though dozens of Security officers and civilians have been previously injured and others died from the terrorist attacks, others are suspected of having been sponsored by local leaders.