A 5-storey building under construction collapsed near Fortune club in Ruaka, Kiambu county this morning.
The building collapsed over a neighbouring residential home. So far rescue team has been dispatched to help victims of the Thursday morning accident.
According to reports by St John Ambulance, a family which was sleeping at the time of the incident is trapped at the scene.
Kiambu Governor Kimani Wamatangi led emergency responders in rescue efforts during his visit to the scene.
The emergency responders which include County fire and Disaster team response have retrieved two bodies and three survivors who have been rushed to a nearby health facility for treatment.
Following the incident, Wamatangi issued a warning to constructors that there will be a crackdown on all forms of malpractice to curb the menace.
"Hi kitu lazima ikome kwenye county ya Kiambu, hizi mijengo zimekua zikiporomoka kila siku na hio juhudi na makosa tunasema ni kwa mwenye anajenga na pia mwenye anampatia permit kujenga mjengo ambao haufai kwa vile kutoka sasavile tumeingia kwenye hii kazi, mimi nitaanza kuzunguka mimi mwenyewe binafsi na tutahakikisha kwamba tumekagua hizo mijengo zote ambazo mbeleni walikua wamepatiwa license na permit za kujenga na tutahakikisha kwamba kila mtu anafwata kanuni na sheria ya ujenzi,"Wamatangi said.
This loosely translates to:
"This issue must come to an end in Kiambu county, these buildings have been collapsing frequently and that is because constructors are issued permits to construct buildings that should not be constructed in the areas, I will personally follow up and ensure all buildings constructed before were issued licenses and construction permits, I will also ensure that everyone follows the law,"
The latest comes barely two days after a seven-storey building collapsed in Kasarani, Nairobi county.
In the incident, several were feared dead after the building collapsed at Seasons area in Kasarani, Nairobi, on Tuesday, November 15, 2022.
Witnesses said the building that was under construction came tumbling down at around 2:30 pm.
Most of the persons said to be trapped in the rubble were construction workers. At least five victims were reportedly rescued from the rubble and rushed to hospital with varying injuries.
At the time, a section of the residents decried the slow-paced rescue operations saying more than 10 workers were still trapped in the debris
Some of the residents claimed they were blocked from rescuing the victims.
"There is little going on inside there. We should be allowed to join the rescue teams," one of the residents lamented.
Kasarani Member of Parliament (MP)Ronald Karauri was among those at the site.
The accident came two months after another building collapsed at Kirigiti village in Kiambu county claiming three lives.
The seven-storey building that was under construction was reported to have fallen on nearby houses leading to the death of two children and a woman.
Kiambu Governor Kimani Wamatangi, who was among the first responders, said the owner of the building had no approvals and thus the building was being put up illegally.
"It's very wrong and unfortunate that this incident happened. I actually removed one of the babies who was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. The owner of the building had no approvals," Wamatangi said.
"I had just called a meeting with all developers but we were yet to finalize efforts to avert such incidents," he added.