By Kigotho wa Mwangi
Five people have been killed and over 3,000 others displaced in the ongoing ethnic clashes at Olposimoru, Naisuit and Marioshoni areas in Rift Valley region.
Speaking during a press briefing in his office on Sunday, August 2, Rift Valley Regional Commissioner George Natembeya said that the conflict has escalated due to suspicion between communities.
The regional administrator revealed that 83 people have been injured during the conflict with 40 of them hospitalised and 198 houses burnt down.
Natembeya said that 16 people have been arrested so far, among them an assistant chief. Another assistant chief is also being sought by the police.
Clashes erupted on Wednesday, July 29, as communities fight over pasture water and cattle rustling.
Some members of the community, Natembeya said, have used the opportunity to go on looting sprees but warned they will be arrested.
The clashes are on the Narok-Nakuru-Bomet border area.