By David Omurunga in Nakuru County
A 35-year-old man from Sigaon Village in Neisuit Ward, Njoro Constituency in Nakuru County died on Monday night (June 15) after he choked on a piece of meat.
The deceased, identified only as Rasta, returned home at 5pm Monday while drunk, neighbours told K24 Digital.
“He was drunk and complained of hunger,” said a neighbour.
Neisuit Youth chairperson, Kitur Sigei, said Rasta was carrying meat wrapped in a newspaper sheet, when he arrived home.
“On boiling the meat, he started eating it before it was properly cooked,” said Sigei.
“Unfortunately, he choked on it. Neighbours heard Rasta calling for help. When they rushed to his house, they found him wriggling on the floor. One of the neighbours attempted to help Rasta spew up the meat, but his attempts were unsuccessful,” narrated Sigei.
The neighbours, thereafter, decided to take the victim to a nearby hospital, but he died on the way.
Rasta, who engaged in menial work for a living, did not have a wife or children, and the neighbours are now asking the county government to allow them bury him in his compound.