34-year-old woman, son electrocuted on their way to shop

By Caroline Katana On Fri, 31 Jul, 2020 12:08 | < 1 min read
Locals accused Kenya Power of negligence, saying the fallen wire remained unfixed for two weeks. [PHOTO | FILE]
Locals accused Kenya Power of negligence, saying the fallen wire remained unfixed for two weeks. [PHOTO | FILE]
Editor's Review
    An eyewitness blamed Kenya Power for the two deaths, saying the current-carrying wire was negligently left unfixed for two weeks.

A 34-year-old woman from Boa Matopeni Village in Matuga, Kwale County and her 3-month old son died on Friday morning (July 31) after they were electrocuted on their way to shop.

Mwanahamisi Tosha, an eyewitness, said the woman, identified as Mwaka Dziwe, who was carrying the baby on her back, touched a naked copper wire with the aim of lifting it so that she could pass beneath it, when she and her child were electrocuted at 6am.

Mwanahamisi blamed Kenya Power for the two deaths, saying the wire, which has current passing through it, was negligently left unfixed for two weeks.

“Last week, we reported to Kenya Power that the two current carriers had fallen, and were posing serious danger to residents, but the electricity company ignored our concerns,” said Mwanahamisi.

Bodies of the mother-and-son were taken to a Matuga hospital morgue.

Are you a Kenyan in the diaspora with a story to tell? Do you know someone of Kenyan origin doing something remarkable in the diaspora? Do you have an opinion that you would like to share? Email us at [email protected]