3 Ethiopian nationals detained after they were found begging for food at Kilimani Police Station

By , K24 Digital
On Thu, 24 Aug, 2023 14:06 | 2 mins read
Handcuffs. PHOTO/Courtesy

Three Ethiopian nationals were yesterday charged at a Milimani law court with being in the country illegally.

The foreigners Adan Haille and Tomas Barche whose ages are 20, and 18 years respectively and a minor who is 16 years old pleaded guilty to the offence of being in the country illegally without any documents.

"On August 22, 2023, at Capital Hill police station canteen within Kilimani sub-county within Nairobi county you were found unlawfully present without a valid passport or permit," part of the charge sheet read in parts.

The prosecution told the court that on August 22, 2023, the three who could not communicate in either English or Kiswahili were found at Capital Hill police station canteen at Kilimani sub-county, in Nairobi county loitering and begging for food without documents legalizing them to be in the country.

The first and the second accused had Ethiopian national identity cards while the third who is a minor had no document of identification.

The court heard that the accused persons were brought to Kenya by a broker on a transit promising to take them to South Africa for a good job.

After arriving in Nairobi the transporter left them in the hands of another broker who was feeding them with a piece of bread and a cup of tea before abandoning them desperately in the city.

Via the translator, they told the court that they had suffered a lot since they had been feeding on a piece of bread and a cup of tea.

"Your honour we have suffered a lot for a period of one month and two weeks surviving with a piece of bread and a cup of tea," Adan said.

The three who could only communicate in the Amharic language pleaded guilty to the offence before the chief magistrate Lucas Onyina.

In mitigation, they requested the court to take them back home since they had suffered for a period of more than a month.

The magistrate ruled them to be detained at Capital Hill police station until August 30, 2023, when the judgement will be delivered.

Related Topics