27-year-old woman fights for justice after cop husband left her with a blind eye

By , K24 Digital
On Sat, 27 Nov, 2021 00:00 | 2 mins read
Anne Adhiambo,27. PHOTO/COURTESY

A 27-year-old lady identified as Anne Adhiambo from Transnzoia County is seeking justice for the physical abuse and damage she suffered at the hands of her cop husband of one and a half years.

In a message sent to Kenyan NGO against Gender-Based Violence(GBV) Usikimye, Adhiambo says her husband Michael Machage who is stationed in Kiminini police station left her blind in one eye after a fight.

She claims, on November 14, 2021, she went home late from the salon at around 6 pm only for Machage to hit her with a metal repeatedly in the head, causing her to lose the sight in one eye.

The twin mom of six months old baby boys says she had to run to her maternal home to seek refuge.

“On November 14, 2021 this guy assaulted me. He kicked, punched, slapped me severally and hit me with a metal on my head and eye until I lost my left eyesight, I bled to near death. Reason being, I came home late from the salon. I came home at 6.04pm,” part of the message reads.

Further, the lady says she reported the matter to police station who has been frustrating her by taking her round in circles.

She first tried reporting the matter where the ex-husband was working at Kiminini police station but was denied access to both OB and P3 form.

She later went to Kitale police station where she says, the OCPD reffered her back to Kiminini after consultation with the OCPD identified as Tumbo.

“That’s when Kiminini OCPD invited me to his office and after I told him what happened, he allowed the OCS to be in charge of my story, and therefore, my P3 form was filled in and was allowed to file a case against Michael. On 17.11.2021 I went back to write my statement and the OCS told me I will be called when the file is ready, so I left,” she added.

She however says the officers delayed filing her case and were hostile towards her prompting her to seek a lawyer for the matter to be taken to court.

“The lawyer and I talked on the phone and he told me to go back to Kiminini and request the Investigation Officer to speed up the filing process because I realized I needed to take this matter to court. I wanted justice to prevail,” the message read in parts.

The officers at Kiminini still continued to delay the filing process and further speculations by her lawyer established that they did not want to compromise their colleague’s jobs.

The lady claims she later sought the County Commander’s help in vain.

“The lawyer advised me to look for money so that we can write a letter to IPOA but I have no cent on me. I don’t know what else to do and I am so frustrated,” she stated.